Customers who want to learn about how to improve the structural elements of the home to reduce energy use, improve comfort, safety and the overall performance of a home, read on to learn about our Comprehensive Home Energy Audit.
ecobeco is the leading Energy Auditing firm in Maryland, and has won many awards. ecobeco was awarded the 2009 Maryland Home Performance Contractor of the Year by the Maryland Energy Administration, 2010, 2012 and 2013 Pepco Energy Savings Award, and the 2010, 2011 and 2012 Angie's List Super Service Award. ecobeco’s energy efficiency experts provide prioritized, actionable advice and facilitate the selection of contractors to get work done.
Incentives are continuing in 2014. In Maryland, this includes Home Energy Audits starting at $100 (normally $400, Maryland utilities are providing a $300 subsidy) and 50% cash rebates up to $2,000 per household for air sealing and insulation improvements. Additionally, FEDERAL TAX CREDITS that expired in 2011 were re-established for 2012 and 2013 as part of the fiscal cliff legislation. Visit our incentives page to learn more.
Looking for GROUP DISCOUNTS? Call us at 240 396 2141 x1 to learn more.
We answer the most common questions about our service below:
The Comprehensive Home Energy Audit is performed to the specifications of the Home Performance with ENERGY STAR® program. Our certified raters put state-of-the-art scientific equipment to work on your home to analyze precise ventilation and safety measures, including advanced equipment that detects invisible gas emissions.
With your list of recommendations in hand, you'll be surprised how inexpensively you can save up to 40% on your energy bills while making your home much more comfortable.
The Comprehensive Energy Audit is a whole home approach that includes several diagnostic tools. We also take safety very seriously.
1. Air Leakage Test: Using a Blower Door Pressure device, we test the airflow of your home to identify air leaks and find ways to keep air conditioned and heated air inside your home longer.
2. Detailed Visual Inspection with Infrared Camera Scan: We find hidden air leaks, insulation problems and moisture issues occurring behind walls, and explain how to fix them.
3. Furnace and Water Heater Safety and Efficiency Test: We examine your major gas appliances for safety with a focus on toxic emissions.
4. New in Maryland in 2012 - Direct Install Measures: During your audit, Pepco, BGE, and Potomac Edison customers will receive energy-saving and water-saving measures at no additional cost. When you make your appointment, our pre-audit questionnaire will help you select the products you want.
1. You receive a Customized Report with Energy Savings Estimates, Costs Estimates, Photos and a Prioritized List of Recommended Improvements. In this easy-to-understand report, we prioritize your improvement options to meet your goals.
2. You receive a 30 Minute Report Review With Your Auditor
3. We refer you to a certified Home Performance contractor who will provide you a bid to perform the work described in your report.
4. We perform a FREE Follow Up Safety and Performance Test: After you've had the work done, we come back for FREE to re-measure your home's performance.
This comprehensive service assessment can take between 3 and 4 hours to complete depending on home size and number of HVAC systems.
The Comprehensive Home Energy Audit is most appropriate for:
1. People who want to reduce their energy consumption: High Energy Bills is the primary motivation for many customers. The Energy Audit educates you on both mechanical and behavioral measures that can save you money. Homeowners in Maryland who follow the advice save up to 40% on their energy bills.
2. People who want to improve the comfort of their home: The Audit provides solutions for seasonal room discomfort, uneven room heating/cooling, drafts, air quality concerns, humidity issues, mold/mildew concerns, and musty odors.
3. People concerned about Appliance Safety and Efficiency: If you are trying to figure out whether your major appliances are working safely and efficiently, or which appliances are near the end of their useful lives, this highly technical energy audit provides a unique and insightful view towards helping you make the right replacement decisions. We’ll help you understand whether changing an appliance today is really worth the money.
4. People concerned about Air Exchange Rates for a Healthy Interior: If you are looking for a precise measurement of air exchange. Too much air exchange means much of your air conditioned or heated air is escaping to the outdoors. To little air exchange leads to a buildup of gases that could make you feel sick. The Home Energy Audit ensures your air exchange is just right, and you should have your Air Exchange Rates checked after any work on your home that impacts air flow.
5. Remodelers: If you are thinking about remodeling your home and want to take advantage of the opportunity to make energy efficient alterations, this whole home evaluation is technical and education and will help you figure out which solutions are most worth incremental investment.
You'll have the high level findings communicated verbally before the auditor leaves your home. The Home Energy Audit savings estimates relies on complex energy modeling that takes a few weeks to complete. We try to provide results within 2 weeks of your visit to ensure that you don't lose your enthusiasm. You will receive a comprehensive report by e-mail and/or US Mail and a follow-up call from your auditor to review the results with you.
Every respectable energy auditor does a blower door test and gives you a report with recommended retrofits. But ecobeco goes above and beyond this standard, and all of these 8 value-added services are included in our standard pricing:
Meet our certified Home Performance with ENERGY STAR energy auditors by clicking here. All of our auditors are certified Building Analysts by the Building Performance Institute.
To learn about energy efficiency retrofits and other services that are installed by our trusted network of Home Performance with ENERGY STAR contractors, click here.
ecobeco consults to apartment renters or condo unit owners seeking something less comprehensive (and less expensive) than our Comprehensive Energy Audit. The consulation uses our technical instruments such as the blower door, infrared camera, and combustion safety equipment. It focuses on the items you can control (while making you aware of issues that your landlord controls), and we’ll give you a report that you can bring back to your landlord to discuss how you can improve the efficiency and comfort of your rental.
In an effort to provide basic energy upgrades and education to large numbers of Maryland ratepayers, the Maryland Public Service Commission ordered utilities to provide the Quick Home Energy Check-Up at NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE to your existing utility service. During a QHEC, your ecobeco energy auditor will install CFL Lighting and other energy-saving and water-saving measures. Most home owners can save over $100 per year in electricity and another $50 per year in water and sewer costs. Items installed vary by utility.